January 25, 2012
Steward assemblies underway from coast-to-coast-to-coast
PSAC is holding steward assemblies across the country, to help build skills, share information and strengthen steward networks. Some of the assemblies took place in the fall and others are scheduled to take place in early 2012.
As a union that takes on a broad range of workplace and political issues, our strength comes from the participation of our members. In addition to representing members, stewards help plug them into PSAC campaigns and activities. This helps plant the seeds for social and political change at the grassroots level. Strong national, regional and component leadership is important, but the front line is where members see their union.
Because stewards are often the first point of contact to their union, many members benefit from an informed steward who can answer their questions and connect them to union campaigns and activities. The steward section of PSAC's website is repository for existing and future tools.
Here are some of the tasks that the steward assemblies are taking on:
- Developing a lobbying plan for the region.
- Identifying and canvassing local businesses to support public services.
- Reviewing Workforce Adjustment Appendix provisions of collective agreements.
- Encouraging members to participate in on-line petitions and surveys.
- Identifying community locations for information kiosks in support of public services.
- Planning for engagement in community events over the winter months.
Some assemblies are more informational in nature, others are more focused on training. The regions hold assemblies that meet the needs of their respective members and stewards.
If you have not yet plugged into the steward assembly in your region check in with your PSAC regional office to find out what they have planned.
Date Modified : 2012/02/02